Thursday, February 9, 2017

Recipes: Surprise Cupcakes

Surprise Cup Cakes

Being raised on a farm comes with many advantages, one of these was learning to cook and bake. I learned to bake early in life so when I entered junior high and ended up being required to take Home Ec twice, I wasn't that happy about it.

One thing I did take home from that class was a recipe from my best friend, Martha. One day in class, she demonstrated making surprise cupcakes which have been a favorite at home on the farm, at college, and with my own children.

These cupcakes were quite popular with my friends in the dorm and I made them often. Several friends wanted the recipe, I refused to share it until graduation day. And true to my promise, I wrote out the recipe and passed them out to all my friends on graduation day.

Thanks, Martha, for some great fun and tradition down through the years!


And here it is ... Surprise Cupcakes.



1 package of Chocolate cake mix
8 oz cream cheese
1/3c. sugar
1 egg
dash of salt
1 c. chocolate chips  (or peanut butter chips)





  1. Mix chocolate cake as directed less 1 TBS of liquid.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, egg, and salt
  3. Add chips.
  4. Fill baking cups to no more than 2/3 full.
  5. Using a teaspoon, add cheese filling to the center of the cupcake taking care to not allow filling to touch the sides.
  6. The cake batter will rise up around the filling so there is no need to add cake mix on top.
  7. Bake using the directions from the cake mix.
  8. Frost with cream cheese frosting.


Note: I have also used my grandmother's chocolate cake recipe instead of a boxed cake mix.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving reading your comments.